Do you think that only coaches are involved in periodization? Sport Leaders are important decision makers and have a significant role to play in placing competitions at the right time of the season. This session will provide an overview of why competition calendar planning is critical to the development of athletes at all stages and will highlight how sport leaders can be instrumental in strategic placement of priority competitions. “The Peridiodization of the Competition Calendar” workbook will be used to provide a quick view of a process that will highlight important decision points for the Sport Leader. This session will examine:
- Purpose of competition by stage
- Training to competition ratios;
- Developmentally-appropriate frequency, volume, and intensity of training and competition;
- Limited number of priority competitions each year on which to focus;
- Development of athleticism by allowing adequate time to be spent on physical preparation and recovery.